A new turntable for an old SME V tonearm.
Igor Urisman
2023-11-15 21:40:56 UTC
The motor on my 90's TNT Mk1 just died. VPI stopped making this old motor decades ago and they want me to upgrade at the cost of a decent new turntable. Which is what I'd rather do, than ending up with too much of a turntable. Over the years I've become less ambitions and would prefer something closer to the LP12 than the current TNT. But I want to keep the (terrific) SME V tonearm. Would anyone be able to recommend a compatible reasonably priced turntable that works well with SME V?

Thanks in advance,
—Igor.
Peter Wieck
2023-11-16 19:49:54 UTC
Post by Igor Urisman
The motor on my 90's TNT Mk1 just died. VPI stopped making this old motor decades ago and they want me to upgrade at the cost of a decent new turntable. Which is what I'd rather do, than ending up with too much of a turntable. Over the years I've become less ambitions and would prefer something closer to the LP12 than the current TNT. But I want to keep the (terrific) SME V tonearm. Would anyone be able to recommend a compatible reasonably priced turntable that works well with SME V?
Thanks in advance,
—Igor.
I am finding stuff in the $2,000 - $4,000 range. Is that within your budget?

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Trevor Wilson
2023-11-20 21:24:47 UTC
Post by Igor Urisman
The motor on my 90's TNT Mk1 just died. VPI stopped making this old motor decades ago and they want me to upgrade at the cost of a decent new turntable. Which is what I'd rather do, than ending up with too much of a turntable. Over the years I've become less ambitions and would prefer something closer to the LP12 than the current TNT. But I want to keep the (terrific) SME V tonearm. Would anyone be able to recommend a compatible reasonably priced turntable that works well with SME V?
Thanks in advance,
—Igor.
**You can't go wrong with a Denon quartz locked direct drive. One of the
best motors in the business. Rock solid speed, very low W&F and rumble.
A DP-55M can be sourced at a reasonable price. Higher end Denons exhibit
superior specs. Two things:

* The SME V is a wonderful arm.
* DO NOT be tempted to buy a non-quartz locked direct drive of any
manufacture (including Denon).
* A suitable mounting may be required for the Denons, as they lack
decent suspension.

Well, that's 3.

FWIW: My daily turntable is a Denon DP-59L. Fabulous turntable, with a
decent, but not brilliant, arm.

--
Trevor Wilson