Help with European Quad esl 63
Steve Brown
2022-12-09 00:07:03 UTC
I have an opportunity to pick up a great pair of ESL 63's from England.

Is the voltage conversion as easy as picking up a voltage converter?

Steve
harris...@gmail.com
2022-12-09 13:28:36 UTC
Not a direct answer, but I think you would be better served with a transformer rather than an electronic converter. Converters generate a lot of switching transients.
Dick Pierce
2022-12-11 15:13:33 UTC
Post by Steve Brown
Is the voltage conversion as easy as picking up a voltage converter?
Steve
Not a direct answer, but I think you would be better served with a transformer rather than an electronic converter. Converters generate a lot of switching transients.
Uhm, the last time I checked, the ESL-63 can run on either 110-120 VAC or 220-240 VAC, and
can be changed via a rear-panel switch.
Steve Brown
2022-12-17 19:08:47 UTC
Post by Dick Pierce
Post by Steve Brown
Is the voltage conversion as easy as picking up a voltage converter?
Steve
Not a direct answer, but I think you would be better served with a transformer rather than an electronic converter. Converters generate a lot of switching transients.
Uhm, the last time I checked, the ESL-63 can run on either 110-120 VAC or 220-240 VAC, and
can be changed via a rear-panel switch.
A number of folks I've spoken to in person mention "the switch" unfortunately this pair must have been built prior to the switch being implemented.

Thanks all, I'm hoping that internally I can address the issue as my listening room is on the third floor and pulling a new electrical feed is neither likely nor affordable.

Steve
harris...@gmail.com
Let's see if this shows up, tried a couple times before. The switch is inside, under the base, which must be removed for access.
Peter Wieck
2022-12-18 13:46:20 UTC
Post by Steve Brown
Thanks all, I'm hoping that internally I can address the issue as my listening room is on the third floor and pulling a new electrical feed is neither likely nor affordable.
OK - Some assumptions:

a) you have a Euro speaker pre-adaptor switch.
b) you do not have a reasonable way to bring a new 220V line to your third floor.
c) You do have the manual for those speakers, and so know what the current draw will be.
d) Knowing that, calculating for transformer losses (10% or so), and the rest of the equipment connected to your existing feed, the line in place is sufficiently robust to carry everything safely.

With all that in mind, you will need to purchase a step-up transformer that is rated as a continuous load at 200% of the actual (at least) speaker load. If only to avoid mechanical noise in addition to heat.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/hammond-manufacturing/176E/2358155?

Here is one from Digi-Key, US-made. Don't cheap-out. Yes, it is an auto-transformer vs. an isolation transformer, but it is UL listed and so forth.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
harris...@gmail.com
Be very careful with an auto-transformer, could end up with 115 hot on both leads. The manuals are available on manualslib dot com . I tried sending this link before, this time wrote dot instead of writing the correct way. Maybe this will get through. The service manual shows the internal switch on all of the 63s.
Trevor Wilson
2022-12-21 21:17:33 UTC
Post by Peter Wieck
Post by Steve Brown
[...]
**SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY VA! WTF?

The Quad ESL63 is fused at 0.063A and is rated at 6VA (SIX) power
consumption. That figure does not vary significantly after initial
power-up. A 20VA step-up transformer will do just fine.

A MUCH smaller transformer will do the job, assuming there is no mains
switch available on the unit.

My much bigger concern remains: The speakers must be checked for correct
operation prior to purchase, as repairs can be expensive.
Peter Wieck
2022-12-22 11:30:24 UTC
Post by Trevor Wilson
**SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY VA! WTF?
a) That is a Hammond (US-made), UL-listed device.
b) It is one if the smallest such devices of its nature that I could find providing an off-the-shelf solution from a legitimate seller.
c) At 240V, 750VA = 3.125 amps.
d) At 240V, 3VA = 0.0125A

Sure there is a disparity - but there is also a certainty that the transformer will run dead-quite with such a tiny load relative to its rating. I am not so sure of that condition with something from the Pacific Rim.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Trevor Wilson
2022-12-22 21:16:12 UTC
Post by Peter Wieck
Post by Trevor Wilson
**SEVEN HUNDRED AND FIFTY VA! WTF?
a) That is a Hammond (US-made), UL-listed device.
b) It is one if the smallest such devices of its nature that I could find providing an off-the-shelf solution from a legitimate seller.
c) At 240V, 750VA = 3.125 amps.
d) At 240V, 3VA = 0.0125A
Sure there is a disparity - but there is also a certainty that the transformer will run dead-quite with such a tiny load relative to its rating. I am not so sure of that condition with something from the Pacific Rim.
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
**I have quite a bit of experience with various Quad speakers and I can
assure you that a 20VA transformer will also be dead quiet. My major
concern is that the buyer has not verified that the speakers are in good
operational order. Surely a smaller, less expensive step-up transformer
is available somewhere in the US? 750VA? YIKES!
Peter Wieck
2022-12-23 13:32:28 UTC
Post by Trevor Wilson
**I have quite a bit of experience with various Quad speakers and I can
assure you that a 20VA transformer will also be dead quiet. My major
concern is that the buyer has not verified that the speakers are in good
operational order. Surely a smaller, less expensive step-up transformer
is available somewhere in the US? 750VA? YIKES!
OK, I will let you in on several 'magic words":

a) Hammond
b) Made in USA
c) UL Listed
d) Specific to the need
e) Plug-and-play
f) And, lastly, resilient inasmuch as it may be able to take on future needs where a minimalist unit will not.

But, if it makes you feel any better:

https://www.zoro.com/siemens-control-transformer-100va-288-in-h-mt0100a/i/G8527723/?

Here is a 100VA transformer that is also UL listed and made in Dresden, Germany. However the OP will have to furnish an enclosure, do the correct wiring and so forth. So, not plug-and-play. And, ultimately, far less resilient.

I did find many smaller ones, mostly made on the Pacific Rim or similar venues.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Trevor Wilson
2022-12-23 21:28:19 UTC
Post by Peter Wieck
Post by Trevor Wilson
**I have quite a bit of experience with various Quad speakers and I can
assure you that a 20VA transformer will also be dead quiet. My major
concern is that the buyer has not verified that the speakers are in good
operational order. Surely a smaller, less expensive step-up transformer
is available somewhere in the US? 750VA? YIKES!
a) Hammond
**Meh. I've used better transformers. And worse ones. They're OK.
Post by Peter Wieck
b) Made in USA
**That doesn't impress me one bit. Particularly after driving a mate's
late model Ford Mustang. Compared to my Subaru (made in the Pacific
Rim), the Mustang was more tractor-like, noisy, rattly it screamed
CHEAP. The US is certainly capable of manufacturing very high quality
products. The US is also capable of scraping the bottom of the quality
barrel and shoving that same crap into the hands of consumers.
Post by Peter Wieck
c) UL Listed
**That is helpful. A UL listing is a good start.
Post by Peter Wieck
d) Specific to the need
**Well, apart from being needlessly large, heavy and expensive, yes.
Post by Peter Wieck
e) Plug-and-play
**A good thing too.
Post by Peter Wieck
f) And, lastly, resilient inasmuch as it may be able to take on future needs where a minimalist unit will not.
**A bot of a stretch, but OK.
Post by Peter Wieck
https://www.zoro.com/siemens-control-transformer-100va-288-in-h-mt0100a/i/G8527723/?
Here is a 100VA transformer that is also UL listed and made in Dresden, Germany. However the OP will have to furnish an enclosure, do the correct wiring and so forth. So, not plug-and-play. And, ultimately, far less resilient.
I did find many smaller ones, mostly made on the Pacific Rim or similar venues.
**It would depend on which Pacific Rim nation made the transformer. I've
found transformers made in Japan to be very superior. Frequently
superior to US made products, I fact. Since I live in a 50Hz nation,
I've found lots of US origin products employ inadequate levels of iron
in the core of the transformer. Of course, with Chinese made products,
it is a complete crap-shoot.

Here's what I don't get: Here in Australia, we have several, quality,
suppliers of 230VAC ~ 117VAC (or even 100VAC) step-down transformers to
cater for those who import products from nations that employ low mains
supply Voltages. They are available easily and in a wide range of VA
ratings. This is my preferred supplier:

https://www.tortech.com.au/product-category/voltage-converters/

ALL transformers meet the very stringent Australian electrical standards
(which are far more stringent than US standards) and Tortech maintain
control over quality for products that are not made in Australia. This one:

https://www.tortech.com.au/product/voltage-converters/step-down/economy/economy-american-step-down-transformer/

Sells for AUD43.90 (approximately US$28.88). Plug and play.

Frankly, I would be very surprised to hear that a similar device is not
available in the US.
Peter Wieck
2022-12-24 12:28:37 UTC
Post by Trevor Wilson
Frankly, I would be very surprised to hear that a similar device is not
available in the US.
They are. However and in general, the rest of the world caters to the US/NA market, not the other way around. So, those that supply such devices cater to that tiny part of the market that needs such things, and either do so 'on the cheap', or do so properly. There are any number of bi-directional travel transformers available that are useful for charging cell phones, up to and including running hair-dryers (1500 watts), but not what one would wish to put into a high-fidelity audio system nor is it their purpose.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09S3L5FP4/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092ZLTYMP/

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Trevor Wilson
2022-12-24 17:47:09 UTC
Post by Peter Wieck
Post by Trevor Wilson
Frankly, I would be very surprised to hear that a similar device is not
available in the US.
They are. However and in general, the rest of the world caters to the US/NA market, not the other way around. So, those that supply such devices cater to that tiny part of the market that needs such things, and either do so 'on the cheap', or do so properly. There are any number of bi-directional travel transformers available that are useful for charging cell phones, up to and including running hair-dryers (1500 watts), but not what one would wish to put into a high-fidelity audio system nor is it their purpose.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09S3L5FP4/
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B092ZLTYMP/
Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
**I'm guessing that the device cited is not a transformer based one? If
not, I would not put it near my system either. It is almost certain that
the higher power models are not transformer based.

It is a pity you guys don't have a quality supplier like Tortech over
there. Despite the fact that their low cost step-down transformers are
China sourced, the quality is excellent.
Peter Wieck
2022-12-09 13:39:34 UTC
Post by Steve Brown
I have an opportunity to pick up a great pair of ESL 63's from England.
Is the voltage conversion as easy as picking up a voltage converter?
Steve
Steve:

Yes, and no. First, see if you can obtain the service manual. It may be the case that the power-transformer may be rewired for US voltages.

https://quadesl.nl/wp-content/uploads/Quad_ESL-63_service_manual.pdf

As I read it, the manual does show that capacity, (Page 26 of 28), but please verify that is the case. Many manufacturers selling in multiple venues found it easier to purchase one multi-voltage transformer rather than (at least) three, being US, Japan & Euro/Middle-East markets. So, try that first. I read a multi-position switch/plug/connector that may (should) be labeled with the various voltage options.

Lastly, if the MV option is not in place, DO NOT attempt to feed this unit with US 240 V (Hot/Hot) voltage without verifying that the on-board AC transformer is truly isolated from the chassis or any other components. Again, from reading the service manual (page 9/28), IT DOES APPEAR that the AC transformer primary is isolated. If that is the case, and this is verified by actual test, you may feed it with US 240 VAC, bringing the ground to the chassis. There would be no neutral used in that configuration. Use a NEMA L6-30, or similar, 3-prong plug into the appropriate receptacle. The two hots would feed to the transformer primary directly (and the switch would have to be a double-pole unit). Page 27 of 28 seems to show this as an option, and the power switch does appear to be double-pole.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA
Trevor Wilson
2022-12-11 05:47:41 UTC
Post by Steve Brown
I have an opportunity to pick up a great pair of ESL 63's from England.
Is the voltage conversion as easy as picking up a voltage converter?
Steve
**AFAIK, all Quad ESL63 speakers were supplied with the ability to
switch between all major mains Voltage supplies. If not, then a small
117VAC ~ 230/240VAC transformer will suffice. Power consumption is VERY
low.

One more thing: Make 100% certain that the speakers are fully functional
and have been overhauled. They're not cheap to fix.